May 7 - June 21, 2020
Craft Ontario Gallery
1106 Queen Street West, Toronto
Responding to the current era of rapid and accelerating change to the landscape, ‘Mass Wasting’ explores the impact(s) of environmental destabilization through the lens of craft practice.
Through both direct and indirect human intervention, the form of the Earth is changing. Extractive mining practices and deforestation have immediate and obvious effects, while warming temperatures are causing unprecedented thawing of permafrost. The term ‘mass wasting’ refers to the geomorphic process by which rocks and soil move downhill (eg. rock slides, soil creep and thaw slumps). ‘Mass wasting’ is both cause and effect: the means by which we have arrived on this increasingly unstable ground.
This exhibition aims to address the psychic, social, cultural, and political impact of environmental unpredictability as identified by artists working in diverse craft media. It also considers the ways in which instability can open up fissures of possibility — opportunities for change and innovation.
Craft Ontario welcomes submissions in all craft media by active Craft Professional Members at any stage of their career (emerging, mid or established).
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must hold an active Craft Professional membership.
- Each applicant may submit up to three works for consideration, with a maximum of three images per work.
- A set of multiples (such as a sculptural group) will be considered as one entry.
- Works in all craft media are encouraged.
- Each entry must be of original design.
- Each entry must have been executed within the last two years.
- Late or incomplete entries will not be accepted.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form (see below for more details). Hard copy or email submissions will not be accepted.
- Applicants grant Craft Ontario permission to use images of accepted works for promotional purposes, including web and print material.
- The Exhibitor will be responsible for insuring all work during shipping and delivery. Craft Ontario will insure all items for theft and damage while on the Gallery premises.
- Works accepted for exhibition will be delivered/shipped to and from the Craft Ontario Gallery at the Exhibitor’s expense.
- Any work included in the exhibition that is available for sale will be sold at Craft Ontario’s usual consignment split of 50%.
- There is no fee required to apply.
- Selected exhibitors will receive a $350 Artist Fee.
- Applications must be submitted by Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST.
- Applicants will be notified by Thursday, February 13, 2020.
- Accepted applicants will be required to deliver selected works to Craft Ontario at 1106 Queen Street West, Toronto, no later than 5pm on Sunday, May 3, 2020.
- The exhibition will take place from Thursday, May 7 to Sunday, June 21, 2020.
- The opening reception will take place on Thursday, May 7, 2020 from 6-9pm.
- All unsold work must be picked up or shipped at the Exhibitor’s expense by Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 6pm.
- Compile your application information in the online form below, which will include contact information, the number of submitted work and details, a maximum of three images per submission, a biography/artist statement, and CV.
- Images should be 1 to 2 MB in size, with a minimum resolution of 72 dpi. Name images with your first and last name, followed by a number. Example: Jane_Smith_01, Jane_Smith_02, etc.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that submitted files are not corrupt, illegible or improperly formatted. Please save your CV document as a PDF document and all image files as JPGs.
Image credit: “Scar of permafrost disturbances” by UBC Micrometeorology, photo by A. Cassidy is licensed under CC BY 2.0.